Pages

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Reason #852: Menu Planning

When I first got married I dreaded grocery shopping. Eventually I ended up telling myself  "you have to learn to like this...it's not going to go away!" So I did! I made myself like it, and now I really do enjoy grocery shopping for my family.

Do I like grocery shopping with my baby? Ehhhhh... Not so much. I like how friendly people are around him, but I've had an embarrassing experience in the grocery store with him... You can refer to number three of this post to read about it. I generally try to leave him with his dad while I grocery shop. I think that is a good arrangement for all of us! I get to shop without worrying when/if he will start crying and they get to play and bond without me around.

I try to menu plan for two or three weeks at a time and make my grocery list based off of the meals planned. By planning our meals for several weeks and limiting trips to the grocery store, it helps our grocery budget by not buying random things just because I have a coupon for it or it is on sale. I know a lot of people have good luck with coupons, but I usually don't. I try to just stick to my list and my menu. I've found that the less I'm in the grocery store (or any store for that matter...anyone else feel out of control in Target?) the less I will buy. Please tell me I'm not the only one who's been guilty of running into the store a gallon of milk and coming out with oreos to dip in the milk and ice cream to make milkshakes.

I like being in charge of the family menu, grocery list, and keeping the fridge and pantry stocked. I see it as a challenge to fix delicious, healthy meals each night all while maintaining our set budget each month. To me it is easier to sit down and take the time to plan several meals all at once rather than wondering all day what to fix that night.

Do you plan your meals? What is your favorite part of feeding your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment